Low Carb Butternut Squash & Orange Cake
Perhaps something you’ve never thought of before? Continue reading this low carb recipe to find out how to make butternut squash and orange cake!
Butternut squash provides a great natural sweetness to cakes and biscuits with a low glycaemic index and low carb content.
550g butternut squash
100g coconut oil
200g wholemeal flour
20g vanilla whey protein
100g agave nectar/honey
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
The zest of a large orange
3/4 tsp baking powder
Low carb baking never tasted so good!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 Degrees.
2. Skin and chop the butternut squash into chunks (this is made a lot easier if you pop the butternut squash whole into the oven for 10 minutes).
3. Steam the butternut squash chunks for 10 minutes, or until the chunks are soft, then blend into a puree.
4. Combine the butternut squash with the honey/ agave nectar, coconut oil and orange zest and mix well.
5. Beat the eggs and add them to the mixture.
6. Combine the flour, baking powder, whey protein and the bicarbonate of soda into a seperate bowl, mix well and then add to the butternut squash mixture.
7. Line a shallow baking tray with baking powder and then pour the mixture in.
8. Bake for 15 minutes and then check. The cake should be golden brown. It may require further baking if it is still too soft, if this is the case, return to the oven for an extra 10-15 minutes. (Check on your cake regularly to avoid burning).
9. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before removing and slicing.
Per 60g portion: 121 calories (kcal) 12 carbs (g) 4 protein (g) 7 fat (g)
Want another low carb recipe? Check out our other blogs! Click here: http://blog.slimmingsolutions.com/