Pesto, asparagus and potato salad
This delicious pesto, asparagus and potato salad recipe from GoodToKnow is not only full of flavour, but has a low calorie count too – and it’s perfect for yummy summer lunches.
– 250g cherry tomatoes halved
– 1 tsp sugar
– 2 cloves garlic crushed
– 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 2 bundles asparagus
– 500g new potatoes
– Salt and pepper for seasoning
For the pesto:
– Small handful fresh mint leaves
– 1 handful rocket leaves
– 30g walnuts
– 1/2 clove garlic
– 50ml olive oil, or enough to loosen the pesto
– 30g Parmesan grated
– Lemon juice to taste
1. Halve the cherry tomatoes and place on a baking tray. Add garlic, sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook at 160°C/310°F/Gas Mark 3 for one hour. Remove from oven.
2. Turn the oven up to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Trim the ends of the asparagus and place on a roasting tray, drizzle with some oil, season and roast in oven for 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile boil the halved new potatoes until cooked through, drain and set aside.
3. Add the mint to a blender along with the rocket, walnuts and garlic, drizzle in the oil whilst blending until you have a loose consistency. Add the grated parmesan cheese, and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
4. Dress the asparagus spears and potatoes with the pesto and scatter over some of the roasted cherry tomatoes.