Ideas on how to lose weight when you love food! – Chicken Jalfrezi
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Calories per portion – 279
- 6 long green chillies
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of garam masala
- 1tsp of ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1tsp of flaked sea salt
- 2 tbsp of low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 medium onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into 12 wedges
- 1 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tsp of cornflour
How to make
- Finely chop 4 chillies, deseed them first if you don’t like very spicy food. Split the remaining 2 from down 1 side without opening them.
- Cut chicken into small cubes.
- Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a fairly deep non-stick pan (or wok) over a high heat. Add the garlic, chopped chillies, chopped tomatoes, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, sugar and salt, then stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables soften and brown slightly. Don’t let the garlic or spices burn.
- Next, add the chicken and whole chillies and cook for a further 3 minutes, turning the chicken regularly.
- Pour over 200ml of cold water, stir in the yoghurt and reduce heat only slightly, enough to simmer the sauce. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chicken is tender and cooked through and the sauce is reduced by about a third. (The yoghurt may separate to begin with but will gradually disappear into the sauce.)
- While the chicken is cooking, heat the remaining tbsp of oil in a clean pan and stir-fry the onion and pepper over a high heat for 3 – 4 minutes until lightly browned. Add the quartered tomatoes and fry for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- Mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp of water to form a paste. When the chicken is cooked, stir in the cornflour mixture and simmer for a few seconds until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, add the hot stir fried vegetables and toss together lightly.
When serving take care to remove the chillies and if having with rice we only recommend using about 50g.