10 things you probably didn’t know about cucumber
Did you know that cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day? One average sized cucumber contains Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, and Zinc.
And as well as being packed full of nutrients, they’re super low in calories, and great for diets and weight loss.
But here’s 10 top cucumber facts that you probably didn’t know!
1. Put down the coffee and fizzy drinks! Cucumbers can provide a quick pick-me-up that will last for hours. If you don’t want to eat it at work or out and about, just pop some slices in your water bottle.
2. Rub a cucumber slice along your bathroom mirror to get rid of the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
3. Place a few slices of cucumber in a small aluminium tin and your garden will be pest-free all summer. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminium to give off a scent undetectable to humans but cause garden pests to flee the area.
4. Rub slices of cucumber along cellulite problem areas for a few minutes. The phytochemical in the cucumber causes the collagen in your skin to tighten; firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. It works on wrinkles too!
5. Eat cucumber slices before going to bed to avoid a hangover or terrible headache and wake up refreshed. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish the nutrients you lost the night before.
6. No time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe; the chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great, but also repels water.
7. Out of WD40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Use a cucumber slice to rub along the problematic hinge, and the squeak will stop.
8. No time for a facial or a visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a bowl of boiling water. The chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam; creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress.
9. Press a slice of cucumber to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath. The photochemical will kill the bacteria in your mouth.
10. Clean your taps, sink, or stainless steel with a slice of cucumber. Just rub it over the surface, and not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but it won’t leave streaks, and it won’t harm your fingers or fingernails.