Quick lunch- chicken & pesto salad
This super quick lunch can be packed up and taken to work with you, it’s really easy to make and takes no time at all.
What you’ll need
- 1 x 240g skinless chicken
- breast fillet
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 25g pine nuts
- 1 tbsp pesto
- juice of 1 lemon
- large handful of baby spinach
- leaves, rocket or watercress
- 1 pre-cooked beetroot
- 5 sundried tomatoes, roughly halved
- 40g feta
Quick lunch ideas that taste delicious
How to make
- Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat.
- Place the chicken between two pieces of cling film or baking parchment on a chopping board.
- Using a rolling pin, meat mallet or any other blunt instrument, bash the chicken until it is about 1cm thick all over.
- Drizzle the breast with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When the griddle pan is smoking hot, fry the bashed breast for about four minutes on each side.
- When you are happy the chicken is cooked through – you can check by slicing into a thicker part to make sure the meat is white all the way through, with no raw pink bits left – remove it to a plate and leave to rest.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the cumin seeds and pine nuts in a frying pan for about one minute over a high heat.
- Slide the seeds onto a plate and leave to cool.
- Dollop the pesto into a bowl, squeeze in the lemon juice and stir until thoroughly combined.
- When you’re ready to eat, lay the chicken on a plate then artistically chuck on the salad leaves, followed by the beetroot and sundried tomatoes.
- Crumble over the feta and drizzle the lemon pesto on top. Finish by scattering over the toasted seeds.
Why not switch it up a little?
Replace the salad with 100g of cooked pasta for a more substantial meal idea that all the family will love!
For more scrumptious meal ideas, check out our blog.