Healthy & hearty soups – chorizo, chickpea & spinach
- 115g Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthways, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 175g canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1 litre of low-salt chicken stock
- 425g chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 900g baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Healthy & hearty, ideal for those comfort food cravings
Ready in 55 minutes
320 calories per 600g serving
- Cook chorizo in a large pan over medium-low heat for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat melts out. Once cooked set aside to drain on paper towels and discard the fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan over medium heat. Add leeks, stirring frequently, until just soft (about 4 minutes). Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes (or puree), stirring frequently, for 2 minutes then add stock, chickpeas and sweet and smoked paprika and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper and chorizo, cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently until the spinach has wilted.
Hey presto, a healthy & hearty soup on the dinner table in under an hour!