Low Fat Recipes: Meringue With Strawberries & Rhubarb
Low fat recipes that will make your mouth water
To find out more keep reading…
*Serves 5-6. Preparation time 20 minutes. Baking time 40 minutes.*
*For the fruit*
1/2 cup of sugar
1 pound of fresh rhubarb cut into small pieces
2 cups of fresh strawberries cut into quarters
*For the meringue*
1/3 cup of sugar
3 large egg whites (at room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
Low fat recipes have never been tastier
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Stir the rhubarb and sugar in a bowl
- Divide the mixture evenly among 8-ounce ramekins
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and cover tightly with foil
- Bake until the rhubarb is soft, this should take 25 minutes approx.
- Remove from the oven and remove the foil
- Carefully tuck strawberries between the chunks of rhubarb (take care as rhubarb can easily break apart)
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until soft peaks form
- Gradually add sugar and continue mixing until the egg whites are glossy and hold peaks
- Spoon beaten egg whites over each portion of fruit, Using a thin spatula to spread the meringue into decorative peaks
- Return the ramekins to the oven and bake until the meringue is lightly browned, this should take 10 minutes approx.
- Leave them to cool and then tuck in!
Enjoy more of our low fat recipes!