The Sugar Challenge
There are many variations of The Sugar Challenge that you can find on the internet. The two week, 30 day, and 50 day challenges are the most popular. Whichever you read about, the feedback is amazing.
So, we invite you to take the challenge: ditch the added sugar and artificial sweeteners in your diet. Aim for two weeks. After that, you’ll probably want to continue anyway! Many people who’ve completed the challenge see it as a lifestyle change and don’t want to turn back.
Think of it as a palate cleanse. It’s a great way to change what you’re eating in a new way, without trying to starve yourself.
If you have a serious sweet tooth, you may experience withdrawals. They should subside after a few days. You need to weather the storm and remember why you started the challenge in the first place.
What to do
For the next two weeks, choose foods that contain little or no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. It’s that simple!
- You can go hardcore, and have zero sugar for two weeks, or,
- Choose foods that have less than 5 grams of sugar per serving. You’ll find this information on the Nutrition Facts label.
- Limit natural sweeteners such as agave, honey, and molasses, to less than 5 grams per serving.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners completely.
- You can add fruits – fresh, frozen or dried – to meals to add flavour and nutrition. Fruits, vegetables, and milk have natural sugars.
Why to do it
- Improve your health
- Clean up your eating habits
- Help shift some excess weight
- Curb sugar and sweet cravings
- Increase your immunity to flu season
- Increase daily energy
- Sleep better