The Cabbage Soup Diet
The Cabbage Soup Diet is a low-calorie diet meal plan to be followed for 7 days for very fast weight loss. It is designed for short-term use only.
The Cabbage Soup Diet is low-fat and high fibre, and a great way to lose weight fast, especially if there’s a special occasions coming up. Although it isn’t suitable for long term weight loss, it will help you to start on a balanced long term eating plan.
Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe
* 2 green peppers
* 3 carrots
* 6 large green onions (also called spring onions)
* 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
* Half a head of cabbage
* 1 bunch of celery
* 1 container ( approx. 10oz) of mushrooms
* 1 cube of bouillon (preferably low sodium)
* Season to taste with parsley, pepper, garlic or curry powder (no salt!)
How to make Cabbage Soup
1. Slice green onions, place in a pan and start to saute with a little cooking spray.
2. Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out. Cut the green pepper into bite size pieces and add to pan.
3. Take off the outer layers of the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to the pan
4. Clean carrots, cut into bit size pieces and add to pan
5. Slice mushrooms into thick slices and add to pan
6. If you would like a bit of spice in your soup add a small amount of cayenne pepper or curry powder,
7. You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubed for seasoning (these have all the salt and flavours you will need
8. Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 Juice), cover and put heat on low. Let the soup cook for a long time- two hours will work well. Season with Salt and Pepper if needed.
The 7 day Cabbage Soup Plan
The idea is to eat as much cabbage soup as you like every day to keep yourself full, in addition to the following food plan. You can also drink water, cranberry juice, unsweetened tea, or black coffee.
Day 1: Fruit
Eat as much fruit as you like – excluding bananas.
Day 2: Vegetables
Eat as much fresh, cooked or raw vegetables as you need. Avoid sweetcorn, peas and also dry beans. No fruit today.
Day 3: Fruit and veg
Eat lots of fruit and vegetables (excluding bananas and potatoes).
Day 4: Bananas and milk
Eat up to eight bananas and as much skimmed milk as you like.
Day 5: Beef and tomatoes
Eat 10-20 ounces of beef, and up to six tomatoes (fresh or tinned). Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water to wash away the uric acid from your body. You can substitute the beef for broiled fish, or broiled or baked skinless chicken.
Day 6: Beef and vegetables
Eat as much beef and vegetables as you like (excluding potatoes)
Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables.
Eat as much brown rice and vegetables (excluding potatoes) as you like. You can also drink unsweetened fruit juice.
Does the Cabbage Soup Diet actually work?
This cabbage soup diet is great for short-term weight loss or for a looming special occasion, but is not recommended for long-term. As a result, any weight lost will probably be gained back when you return to your previous eating habits. This diet requires a lot of planning and regular trips to the shops for the supplies of fruit and vegetables.
Is the Cabbage Soup Diet healthy?
The use of the soup mix and the stock will make this diet very high in salt, however the ingredients are overall mostly healthy. The Cabbage Diet lacks in essential fats, protein and carbohydrates. With the diet only lasting for seven days, this should not cause any long term health problems. People who have special dietary needs (including diabetics) should consult a doctor before starting the cabbage soup diet.
Pros and cons of the Cabbage Soup Diet
Pros: The good thing about this diet is that you can eat as much of the food in the plan as you like, and you will lose weight very quickly. The diet should only be followed for seven days, however it will give you a motivation to start a more moderate diet.
Cons: Some people say they feel weak and light headed while following the Cabbage Soup Diet. Some people found the diet boring food wise. And some people will suffer from flatulence.