Make your own fruity energy bars
Make your own 100% natural energy bars! They’re filling, satisfying, and delicious too. Plus, just a fraction of the cost compared to shop-bought bars.
143 calories per bar or segment
Recipe makes 16 bars
Cooking time: 1 hour
½ tsp sunflower oil (14 cals)
1 x 400g can light condensed milk (1116 cals)
200g rolled (porridge) oats (740 cals)
50g mixed seeds (277 cals) – this calorie count uses Linwoods milled 5 seed mix – you can use any seeds you like
80g dried apricots, chopped (142 cals)
*this recipe works well with any dried fruit.
• Pre-heat the oven to 160C (or 140C for fan).
• Use a square or round 10” tin. If you don’t have one, just line the base of the tin with a sheet of baking parchment.
• Put a dribble of oil in the tin and wipe round with some kitchen roll.
• Heat the condensed milk gently in a small saucepan. Warm through until just steaming, but not bubbling. This takes about 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile, put the oats, seeds, and chopped apricots in a large bowl and mix together.
• When the condensed milk is warm, pour over the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly.
• Scoop the mixture into the tin and press into the edges so you get an even spread.
• Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45-55 minutes until lightly golden on top.
• Leave to cool for 5 minutes before carefully tipping out onto a chopping board.
• Use a sharp knife to cut into 16 equal portions while still warm.
• Leave to cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container or wrapping individually in cling film.
Credit: Adapted from Jacqueline Whitehart’s recipe via 52recipes.co.uk.