Creamy garlic pasta with shrimp and veg
Toss a garlicky yogurt sauce with pasta, shrimp, asparagus, peas, and red bell pepper for a fresh, satisfying summer meal. Serve with slices of cucumber and tomato tossed with lemon juice and olive oil.
Makes: 4 servings
Nutrition bonus – percentage of recommended daily intake:
Vitamin C (130%), Vitamin A (71%), Folate (60%), Iron and Magnesium (35%), Calcium and Zinc (28%), Potassium (25%).
- 170g whole-wheat spaghetti
- 340g peeled and deveined raw shrimp, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups non-fat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Add spaghetti and cook for two minutes less than the package directions.
3. Add shrimp, asparagus, bell pepper and peas.
4. Cook until the pasta is tender and the shrimp are cooked (around 2-4 minutes).
5. Drain well.
6. Mash garlic and salt in a large bowl until a paste forms.
7. Whisk in yogurt, parsley, lemon juice, oil and pepper.
8. Add the pasta mixture and toss to coat.