20 Best diet tips for weight loss
Follow our “20 Best Diet Tips” to lose weight, improve your nutrition and help stay slim forever.
1. Set multiple goals: Instead of setting an intimidating, unrealistic goal like “I will lose 3 stone by next month,” set small, achievable goals like, “I will lose from 2 to 5 pounds this month by following my plan and exercising.”
2. Re-set your goals: Each time you achive your goal, give yourself a (non-Food!) reward like a spray tan> or piece of jewellery and then set another goal.
3. Step by step: Each week, change one food habit to a healthier one. Do it every week. For example, this week change from 2 sugars in your tea to 1. Next week cut down to 1 and then cut it out completely the following week.
4. Your diet: Dieting doesn’t end when you lose all the weight you want to lose. Your diet is what keeps you slim, and needs to be healthy, so make lifestyle changes rather than short-term ones.
5. Portion control: Mega plates make average-sized portions look smaller. Avoid portion distortion with our brilliant Diet Plate.
6. Great start: Eat a non-sweet or just slightly sweetened cereal every morning for breakfast. Shredded Wheat and Bran Flakes are good choices.
7. New brew: Drink slimming tea instead of coffee for a mid-morning pick-me-up: it may have immunity-boosting properties.
8. Popcorn: Invest in a hot air popcorn popper. It’s just as quick as microwave popcorn, and it makes a fibre-rich, guilt-free snack without trans fat or cholesterol.
9. Abstain: Try to swear off all fried foods for the next couple of months. Bake or grill or use a non-stick pan. You’ll find that you won’t miss fried, forever.
10. Powerful rule: Adopt “on the side, please” as your rule when dining out. This applies to salad dressing, sauces and gravies.
11. Code for calories: “Crispy” and “crunchy” are code words for added sugar and/or fat to packaged products. Buy the original versions.
12. Stop Now: Resign from the clean plate club. Eat as much as you need, and if you’re full, then stop and take the rest for a snack or meal tomorrow.
13. Sweet tea: Avoid sweetened iced teas, even if they’re labelled natural. Most have water and high-fructose corn syrup as the first two ingredients and about 200 calories per serving.
14. Weight loss mantras: Adopt the “Been there, done that” mentality when it comes to food. For example, you had a great meal. You’re full. When offered dessert, you think, “Been there, done that,” and take a pass.
15. Don’t be fooled: Read nutrition labels, and ignore the pretty pictures. Just because there’s a picture of fruit on the package doesn’t mean there is fruit in the package. Some examples of this misleading packaging are fruit drinks and fruit yoghurts.
16. Anatomy is not destiny: Even if your mother, father and siblings are overweight, you can outsmart your genes with a healthy diet and exercise. Light weight training can actually change your body type so you can stay slim more easily.
17. Take a dietary supplement: We all need a motivational weight loss boost from time to time. Keep a pot of carb blockers or fat blockers handy for the occasions when you just can’t resist the urge to eat those foods you know you shouldn’t.
18. Build muscle: Replace fat stores with lean muscle and improve your fat-burning naturally. Start gradually, and work up to at least three days a week of training with resistance bands and light weights. Consult with your doctor if you’ve not worked out before.
19. Portion distortion: Most people underestimate their intake, and take in more calories daily then they think. Break out the food diary and, for one week, measure what you eat and make adjustments if necessary based on your meal plan.
20. Slow it down: Eating too fast usually means eating more than you need. Give your brain time to catch up with your stomach: It takes about 20 minutes to feel the food, so savour your food. When you enjoy it more, you’ll be satisfied with less.